Thursday, November 27, 2014

Photos of the original Gateway Western in the 70's and 80's

    Mark Perry, who is one of the WMRC's Facebook friends, has shared these wonderful photos of the original Gateway Western Railway on the club's FB page.

   The first Gateway Western was in its own room on the main floor of Winnipeg's Union Station, long before Via Rail took the building over. It was a landmark for decades until the club was forced to demolish it to make way for a new bathroom.

   Since then, it has been revived first as a modular group, then as a permanent display at Gooch's Hobbies, and no finally back to its original place (albeit one floor above) back at the station in the Winnipeg Railway Museum!

    The image above was taken in the 70's.  Bob Whitehouse is seen on the left, bending over the layout as Lindsey Fuller looks on.

    The image below was taken in the 80's. Jim Jenkins is seen in the back, while Dave Kyliuk switches out one of the industry tracks on the layout.


5 comments:

  1. Could you please send some photos of this layout to me if you can? Mom and dad both worked for CN in this station and would take me to work with them on the weekends. I would spend countless hours with my nose pressed against the glass staring at this layout. The river and the bridge. I loved this layout. I would also like to share photos of my N scale model of this union station at had custom built for me. my email is pierre68bouvier@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Pierre! Unfortunately, the images that you see on this post are all that we have on hand of the original Gateway Western Railway, and these two photos came to us by surprise six years ago. We will certainly post the photos you have of your N scale version of Union Station. You can send it to our email address, which is listed on the right hand side of this page, and mention in your email that they are intended for use on the WMRC blog site. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured I can’t move back to Winnipeg so I’m slowly building it in N Scale and bringing it to my home in BC ! I have some pictures of the Fort Garry Hotel and Winnipeg Union station I had built for me ! Where can I forward photos to! You’ll be very amazed I’m quite sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You can send images to the email address posted on the right hand side of this page.

      Delete